Arkansans Against Guns on Campus
Statistics on Gun Violence
February 9, 2013
Listed below are a few facts and conclusions from the exhaustive studies acknowledged in the notes. These are stunning, and they should directly impact the way we analyze concealed carry on Arkansas campuses.
- U.S. murder and non-negligent manslaughter rate (2001-2010) averaged 5.5 people per 100,000 in population.
- U.S. college and university murder and non-negligent manslaughter rate (2001-2010) averaged 0.007 per 100,000 population.
- The observed U.S. college and university murder and non-negligent manslaughter rate (2001-2010) is 785 times LOWER than that for the public-at-large.
- The observed murder and non-negligent manslaughter rate at Arkansas colleges and universities over the same time interval is 0.000097 per 100,000 population.
- The observed Arkansas college and university murder and non-negligent manslaughter rate is 56,700 times LOWER that for the public-at-large and 72 times LOWER than that at U.S. colleges and universities.
- Colleges and universities in the United States are among the SAFEST refuges from murder and non-negligent manslaughter, and Arkansas colleges and universities are among the SAFEST in the United States!
The take-home message is this: If you want to minimize your chances of being a victim of murder or non-negligent manslaughter, your best bet is to attend an Arkansas college or university!
There can be no better factual argument agains concealed-carry on our campuses. Let our police and security forces do their jobs the way they have been doing them: with efficiency and success.
1. United States Department of Justice Uniform Crime Reporting System: http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/ucrdata/Search/Crime/Crime.cfm
2. United States Department of Education, Office of Post-Secondary Education, Campus Safety and Security Data Analysis Cutting Tool: http://ope.ed.gov/security/index.aspx
3. Based on college and university enrollment data from National Center for Eduation Statistics: